Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Recipe!

So I went to the doctor today, and he said no exercise because of whatever is wrong with me.  (I do know it's getting better, though, so that's a plus.)  So instead of working out today, I came home and made these:


Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls

Ingredients:
37.5oz Hormel 97% fat free chicken breast in water (you can use fresh instead of chicken in a can)
1 package Neufchatel cheese
Nasoya Egg Roll Wrappers (20 to a package)
Broccoli slaw
Hot sauce of your choosing

Directions:
Heat chicken and cheese in large pan until cheese is melted.  Add hot sauce to taste. 
Lay out egg roll wraps on clean surface (watch out because they stick together).  Make a small bed of broccoli straw in the corner of a wrapper and add chicken mix on top.

How to fold:
Make the wrapper a diamond with the bottom point facing you.  Ingredients should be placed horizontally about 1/4 the way up from the bottom corner.  Fold bottom corner up.  Bring outer corners (3 o'clock and 9'clock) in like you're folding a paper airplane.  Make sure to fold any openings in like you're wrapping a present.  Roll until only the upper corner is showing.  Wet finger and moisten the corner, folding it and "pasting" it down.

Baking:
Place on greased, elevated rack.  (I used canola oil spray and a cookie cooling rack.)  Lightly spray the rolls with the canola spray and bake in an oven at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes.  Edges should be golden brown.

Yields 20, Serving Size- 1 roll


I originally found this recipe on the Can You Stay for Dinner? blog, but they had blue cheese in them (yuck).  I sat down and calculated every single nutritional value of one egg roll.  Here it is:

126 calories
4g fat
2.4g saturated fat
0g trans fat
38g cholesterol
400mg sodium
13g carbs
<1g fiber
1g sugar
11g protein

This was actually super fun for me because (here's a little known fact) I love doing math for fun... 

So obviously, if you're watching your sodium, don't eat too many (or any) of these.  I didn't realize the sodium was going to be so high on these, so I definitely went over today.  I've been under every other day though, so that's an improvement!

Working out will be a challenge the rest of the week, as I'm traveling to South Carolina tomorrow evening after work.  There is a fitness center at the hotel and nearby, so I know the resources are there.  It's just a matter of finding the time, as I'll be judging a speech tournament.  I have a workout buddy there, so that'll be better!


No comments:

Post a Comment