Friday, January 13, 2012

The Misconception of Fatitude

(For the sake of saving my own rear end, I'll try to code this blog to where you can understand what I'm talking about without me actually having to say the names of particular goods-distributing businesses.)

I hope the girl in the sports bra aisle of "Rollback Heaven" is reading this.  I hope her dad is, too.

I'd like to shed a little light on the misconception others have of overweight people.  Not all fat people are lazy.  Some of us actually like to workout.

So tell me, why is it that it's so hard to find workout clothes in plus sizes?

All I wanted was a sports bra.  That's it.  Something used to make others' viewings of heavier people working out tolerable.  Lock 'em.  Load 'em.  You're welcome.  I had to go to THREE different places tonight to find something that fit.  (I will be so happy when I can walk into any store and pick something to wear and have it fit.  Honestly.)

Stop 1:"Rollback Heaven"
I will say that the selection here wasn't all that bad, but I feel things are completely mis-sized.  I was fine after not finding anything that would work for me until this girl who couldn't have been bigger than a size 6 was shopping for a sports bra with her dad (awkward).  Her dad pointed to a specific option and asked why she couldn't wear that one, to which the girl replied, "Because dad, I'm fat.  I can't be seen in public in that."

Hold up.  What?

You're the size of my left thigh**, and I would kill to look like you.  Here's the kicker: her father said nothing.  He did say, "Oh no you aren't," or, "Honey, you are beautiful the way God made you."  No; he just continued to let her think her size 6 body was overweight.  After that, I was so frustrated that I just left.

Stop 2:"Richard's Athletic Goods"
All I have to say is this: If you're promoting health and fitness, maybe start carrying sizes that people who actually need to workout would wear.  Also, no one sells goods at the "SMRP" anymore (I just learned that means "suggested manufacture's retail price" tonight, so I thought I'd use it...  if you don't use it, you lose it), so how about having a sale?

Stop 3: "The Big Bulls-eye in the Sky"
I love this store.  I should have went there to begin with.  Thank you for understanding that people of all sizes need all types of clothing.

People of every size need options.  No, I won't be this size forever, or even next week, but seriously. 

**Editor's Note:  I know I use self-effacing humor a lot, making fun of my size, but it's really not funny.  It's reality.  Melissa often wonders if I'll still be funny when I'm thin.  I'd like to think so, but I'm definitely going to have to brush up on it.  I don't encourage this way of thinking; this is something I really have to work on.  But for anyone who sees me in real life: when I'm out in yoga pants, don't think I'm just trying to make you think I work out.  I really do.

Update: I missed my workout this evening.  There are no excuses.  It just didn't happen... and for the record, I feel crappy about it.  (The upside: I'm going two-a-day at it tomorrow.)

Update 2:  I found individually-packed Edemame steamers at "Rollback Heaven" today.  Consider me pumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment