Friday, January 6, 2012

9 Months Along (and no, I'm not pregnant)

I don't think I mentioned this already, but I'm an Admission Counselor at a small private college.  Basically, I assist students who are interested in my institution through the admission, acceptance, financial aid, deposit, and registration process of college.  That's it in a nutshell.  Oh, and I work with these students' guidance counselors and teachers on a daily basis.  Some day are great (like yesterday), and some days are... harder... than others (like today).  Even through the bad days, I love my job and the difference I make in peoples' lives.  I guess you can say I've kind of hit my goal I mentioned at the end of my first post, but I wasn't really talking about my work life.

Anyway... that was important because what I'm about to tell you wouldn't make sense if you hadn't known my role in society.  Back in March 2011, I was assisting a Director of Financial Aid in a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid... you fill it out when you want help paying for college) workshop at a local high school.  The workshop was held in this room called the LGI (no idea what that stands for) where the seating consisted of these swivel chairs that attached to long table-desk things.  I'm sure you know what I'm talking about despite my very vague description.  The chairs only extended from the table so far.

I was too big to sit in the chair and face forward.  I had to sit at an angle to make room for the non-existant 9-month-old fetus in my belly.

Fast forward 9 months to today when I started my first class as a graduate student (Master's of Arts in Corporate Communication Studies... sounds fancier than it is).  It's part of the Extended Learning program at West Virginia University, which means the classes aren't at the University (45 minutes away from home).  Classes are 6-9 two Fridays a month and 9-5 two Saturdays a month.  Anyone want to take a stab at where the classes were held?

Yep.

So tonight, I found myself face-to-face with the same chair-filled room that I did last year.  Will I fit in the chair?  Will people notice if I am extremely uncomfortable?  How am I going to sit 8 hours in this chair without wanting to kill myself?   Are they judging me?  These are the thoughts running through my head.  Finally, I said to myself, "Well, you have no choice.  You would look more awkward standing."  So I sat.

Caution: Success story ahead.

I fit.  I could sit down and swivel around to face the professor... and still breathe!  Holy cow.

So this day turned out to be better than it started.

Update: I am forfeiting the gym tonight in an attempt to actually sleep.  To keep to my resolutions, I will be working out tomorrow and Sunday to hit my 6-days-a-week goal.  I've been in the gym Monday-Thursday this week.

3 comments:

  1. That is such an awesome little victory!!! Go you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome Erica!! Congrats! (and just a little FYI- LGI stands for Large Group Instruction) :)

    ReplyDelete