Monday, January 9, 2012

The Devil Inside

I saw this movie tonight.  It wasn't the greatest.  Actually, don't waste your money; wait until it comes out on NetFlix.  But, it did get me thinking.

Why has it taken me 26 years to finally realize that I was headed down such a disastrous path?

We all make important decisions at different times in our lives.  I know some 20-year-olds that are far more grown up than me, and I know some 50-year-olds that have no idea how to manage their own money.  Why is it that when we turn 18, some magic "Act Like an Adult" button isn't activated?  I think it is because we're all facing some sort of battle... some demon... within us that tells us that we can't do something.

Learning to silence those demons is the first step.

Everyday, when I get to the gym, the track, a training session, I still have that voice inside my head that says, "I don't know why you keep trying.  You are never going to be thin."  Every plank I do, I hear, "You can not hold it this anymore.  You are going to fall."  Everytime I bump up the speed on the treadmill, that voice screams, "What are you doing?!  You can not run this fast.  You are FAT, do you not remember?!?!"

So why do I still go to the gym?  Why do I hold that plank another 10 seconds?  Why do I keep speeding up my runs?

Because I can.  And I will.  And I have.

Getting healthy is not an easy process.  If you have never struggled with your weight, you better thank God every single day that this is one demon He is not testing you with.  The demon that tells you that you will never be good enough, strong enough, fast enough, or thin enough is way harder than any other demon I have ever faced.  But what does the Good Book tell us?

Proceed with faith, and be strong.  "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." (Phil. 4:13)  This is what I have to continuously remind myself of every day I enter the gym, go out to eat with co-workers, or find myself being lapped at the track.  This verse gives no stipulations like: "I can do all things (in 6 months) through Him that gives me strength," or, "I can do (some) things through Him who gives me strength."  ALL THINGS.  PERIOD.

Including this, which I received from my Melissa in the middle of the movie:

How are the resolutions coming? 

As for the first goal: Get back on the couch to 5K program (keep me posted).  Also incorporate the following interval treadmill workout once a week (it is 25 minutes).
5 minutes
3 speed
4 minutes
3.5 speed
7 minutes
4 speed
4 minutes
4.5 speed
5 minutes
3 speed
This week: Start every morning with... you guessed it: LEG LIFTS.  Starting them fresh will make a difference in how many you will be able to do! And doing them first thing in the morning will help build STRENGTH!  See you Tuesday!

(Doesn't she seem so chipper at the end!?)

If you recall, I had to make a list of resolutions to follow to start off the new year right.  I have followed every single resolution this week (this blog still counts as Sunday because I started it before midnight, and I haven't been to bed yet).  Now this whole interval situation on the treadmill...  I've never done a 4.5 running speed, let alone run for 7 minutes in a row.  But guess what... I'm gonna try.  

Oh, and early morning leg lifts.  Guess I need to find my bedroom floor.  Goal for tomorrow morning: 15 in a row.  (Trying to keep the goal SMART, and I've never done more than 10 in a row.)  I'll update tomorrow night.

If you're reading this, and if you do this, I'm asking you to take 30 seconds and say a prayer for me.  Pray that I continually find the strength to keep this up.  I believe in the power of prayer, and with over 300 blog views in 4 days (in over 4 countries), I know it will help.  Thank you!

Sidenote:  I ran at the track today.  Bad idea.  This is the end result (and yes I have pants on).  Again, I saved it right-side-up.  Also note the Christmas socks.  (The blue thing is a heating pad.)


No comments:

Post a Comment