Thursday, May 15, 2014

Day 2: Thursday Hurtday

I have to correct something before I begin.  Yesterday, I accidentally misquoted my mile time.  So here is the truth:

5/14 Mile: 18:30

I was walking at a 3.2 pace and jogging at a 3.7 pace.

Allllllllllllrighty then!

So today I woke up refreshed and ready to start the day.  That never, and I mean NEVER, happens.  I am the type of person that dreads getting out of bed, hitting the snooze 6 times before ever putting a foot on the ground.  But not today-- I was up and ready to go, excited for my lunch-hour workout!

I really thought I'd be sore last night, but I wasn't.  I thought I'd be sore when I woke up, but I wasn't.  But as soon as I got to work, the soreness kicked in.  My booty was definitely feeling that treadmill from yesterday.  Here is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast
McDonald's oatmeal
McDonald's fruit and yogurt parfait
----------------------->> I know, McDonald's.  Please know that today was pay day, so I'll be grocery shopping, but this was what I had.

Lunch
McDonald's grilled chicken salad with low-fat balsamic vinigarette (I know, McDonald's again.  BUT the salad was only 230 calories, and the dressing added another 70 on top of that... so I was doing well)

Dinner
baked potato
corn
grilled chicken with grilled onions and a small amount of cheese

Snacks
2 oz. fresh mozzerella
1/2 container of low fat Great Value orange creme yogurt

Even with all that, I was still about 600 calories below my calorie goal.  I don't know about that whole situation.  I think MyFitnessPal is wrong (follow me at byrdee1985), but it says I need 2,030 calories a day to lose 2lbs. a week.  That seems like a lot, but I like food, so okay.

Today, my eating is much better!

Ben, my trainer, explained to me that if you're going to eat a bagel for breakfast, the worst thing you could do was put jelly on it.  The jelly topping makes it sugar on carbs, and your body digests is so quickly that it is stored and not burned.  HOWEVER, if you top the bagel with peanut butter or cream cheese, you're topping the carb with a FAT, tricking your body into breaking it down slower and giving it more of a chance to be used for energy and less of a chance to be stored on my love handles.

Because God knows I have enough of those.

So my food diary thus far today:

Breakfast
1/2 onion bagel with 1 tbsp. whipped cream cheese
2 hard-boiled eggs
1 container low fat Great Value orange creme yogurt (you'll be seeing more of this today, since mine expires tomorrow)

REVELATION: Although my breakfast today contained less calories than my normal McDonald's breakfast, I wasn't absolutely STARVING by the time I could eat lunch today like I was yesterday.

Lunch
Wendy's BBQ Ranch Chicken Salad (no bbq glaze, no bbq ranch dressing... literally grilled chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and corn)
Marzetti's Pomegranate Vinigarette

Snacks
Gala apple (so far)

Yesterday, our workout consisted of the mile walk/jog.  18:30 yesterday with 3.2/3.7 walk/jog pace situation.  Today, our workout was the mile walk/jog again.  Ben tells us that for the first week to week and a half, we'll be doing mainly cardio just to get our legs under us and jumpstart our bodies.  He said that each day we do the mile, he wants us to aim for no more than plus/minus :30 each time, gradually improving upon our time each day.

Today, I set my pace at 3.3/3.7 walk/jog, and I completed my mile in 17:46!  I cut :44 off my time from yesterday.  I was pumped, my heart was not... but I pushed through.

Then Ben talked to me.

He said he wants to make sure I'm not trying to go too hard, too fast.  I completely understand that.  I think I just have such a hard time accepting where my physical limitations are again, because I had broken all those walls down before.  Now I have to break them all down again, and I know it takes small steps.  He's right-- I need to pace myself.

The only person I'm racing against is me.  Every unhealthy bite of food I ate or day I skipped at the gym put me one more second behind on the treadmill, one more calorie above my cut-off, and made me cry one more tear over my spiraling health.

So now, as I sit here trying to keep my leg muscles functioning (I'm REALLY sore now), I can't help but think back to July 2011 when I first started this journey.  I keep trying to remind myself that I was worse off then than I am now, no matter how much I think I'm my heaviest weight or so out-of-shape now.  I'm not.  I've been fatter, and I've been less capable.  But all that matters is I'm going to keep moving.  (Last night, I re-read all my blog entries, starting with day 1.  Not only did that serve as a good reminder of where I started, where I stopped, and where I am again, it also jogged my memory on tips that I had forgotten.  I highly recommend reading from the beginning if you're just joining me on this journey.)

Remember when I signed up for the Biggest Loser program last year?  I checked my stats to compare when I started that program v. today.  I'm happy to report I've apparently lost 9 lbs. in a year, so I'll take that.  I think that's a testimony that, even when I wasn't working out, my body was still utilizing the muscle I had built when I was to help burn what was going in.

Sidenote: I need to re-vamp my iPod.  I can't workout to concert band music, no matter how hard I try.  I need to channel my inner Melissa and get some Jay-Z happening, and soon.

Tomorrow is our first half-day Friday at work, which means my weekend should start at noon.  But my weekend will start at 1pm, just as soon as I finish my workout! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment