Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Insight!

I'm starving.  Absolutely starving.  I ate dinner AND dessert!  Turkey chili, an orange, and sugar-free jello.  That's a lot.

I started wondering, Why am I so hungry?!  So I looked at my food journal (byrdee1985 on MyFitnessPal... look me up and add me!), and I've eaten nearly 1,900 calories today!  My max is 2,100, so I didn't go over, but really, 1,900 is a LOT of food.

Then I started looking at exactly what I was eating today: chex mix, a cupcake...  really, really empty carbs, empty calories... hardly any protein.  Okay, so a lightbulb went off in my head:

Why would I waste so many calories on empty food when I could be eating so much more food, food that would STAY with me throughout the day, for the same amount of calories?  If I'm a food addict, I should be wanting to feed my face with as much as possible, right?  So why not choose the foods that are GOOD to put in your body?

Okay, so that may be a bit extreme, but to really drive my point home: On Saturday, I ate almost 500 calories less than today AND burned almost 350 off in exercise, and I wasn't starving ONCE.  Why?  Because I had good food, like egg whites, whole grains, proteins, fiber...  not refined sugar and complex carbs.  Insight, right?

Being in an environment where it's the norm to eat out at lunch or grab snacks at every turn can be... scratch that... IS hard.  I just need to start remembering that it's my choice what I put in my body, and I can either suffer now to have success later, or succumb now to suffer later.

I think I'll choose to suffer now by NOT giving in or giving up so I can succeed later by running laps around everyone on the couch.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment