Monday, April 2, 2012

5k? CHECK!

The day after my first 5k...  I never thought it would come.

When Melissa told her You First clients (back in January) that we were all running a 5k on April 1, I think we thought it was an April Fool's joke.  Well, it wasn't.  We all ran, and we all ran really well!

The course was, as she put, the most difficult you'd find in the area and surrounding areas... I believe it.  I'd tell you where we ran, but unless you're from here, it will make no sense.  I'll just say that there were a LOT of hills.  Then again, running outside in West Virginia isn't the easiest thing.

That's why I was fine with a time of 56:29.  I did 3.1 miles a week before in 51:00 flat, but I was also running on a treadmill.  I'd be interested to see my time on a flat course, but overall, I'm very, very pleased with how things went.

I ran about a mile and a half before I stopped to walk for a bit.  That also was when the first substantial hill came, so there you go.

All in all, my philosophy was to just keep moving.  Other than the 10 seconds I stopped to tie my shoe, I didn't stop.  I knew if I stopped, I wouldn't start again.



Well, it's sideways, but here I am crossing the finish line (I know it doesn't look like I'm running, but I am)

I'm hooked.  I can't wait to do more 5ks this spring/summer.  I figure that if I can conquer this course, I can do about any other course around.  I am already committed to doing The Color Run on Sept. 22 in DC (www.thecolorrun.com), but I know there's a few festival 5ks in the area this summer, as well as a mile run for a festival in the town I work in.  I'm going to seriously sign up for every single one I can.

I don't think anything can beat the feeling of doing something that you never thought you'd be able to do.  A year ago, 50 pounds ago, 35 inches ago, I would have never imagined I would ever be able to run, let alone enjoy it.  There, I said it.  I love running.  It might hurt, but it's a good hurt. 


2 comments: